Facebook want to make it easier for businesses of all sizes to create and administer promotions on Facebook, as you can do for now when starting a promotion on facebook timelines based on Facebook Announcement is,
- Collect entries by having users post on the Page or comment/like a Page post
- Collect entries by having users message the Page
- Utilize likes as a voting mechanism
and what you can’t do,
- You can’t ask users or encourage users to tag themselves in a photo they are not pictured in.
- You can’t administer promotions on personal timeline, it means that you can’t ask user to share a promotion or post something on their timelines or their friends’ timeline.
Despite facebook has loosened up their rules, but still there are rules you need to comply at Facebook Page Guidelines ,
See this part about promotion,
- If you use Facebook to communicate or administer a promotion (ex: a contest or sweepstakes), you are responsible for the lawful operation of that promotion, including:
- The official rules;
- Offer terms and eligibility requirements (ex: age and residency restrictions); and
- Compliance with applicable rules and regulations governing the promotion and all prizes offered (ex: registration and obtaining necessary regulatory approvals)
- Promotions on Facebook must include the following:
- A complete release of Facebook by each entrant or participant.
- Acknowledgement that the promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
- Promotions may be administered on Pages or within apps on Facebook. Personal Timelines must not be used to administer promotions (ex: “share on your Timeline to enter” or “share on your friend’s Timeline to get additional entries” is not permitted).
- We will not assist you in the administration of your promotion, and you agree that if you use our service to administer your promotion, you do so at your own risk.
First you need to comply with your local regulation, as example some alcohol related promotion maybe could not be run directly on the timeline as you cannot verify the participant age, your promotion would be illegal in most countries.
You still need to draft the rule that will give some information about the prizes you are giving away, how winners will be elected, how they will be contacted, who can enter, etc. And you need to link to them somewhere in the post so you can prove that participants had a chance to read them.
And last thing that mostly people forget is to add an announcement that the promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed and associated with facebook. You can add some note at the end of your promotion post like this below,
“This promotion does not have a connection with facebook in any way, is not sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. It’s totally organized by _________“